The advantage of living in the house is that I get to speak a bit more french-- Clara's begun to speak to me mostly in french, except when she get's frustrated if I don't understand something (which is happening less and less) or if she wants to be cute (she spoke to me entirely in English the first time I met her, which I found out is because she likes to show off). I met her 13-year-old son Elias too, who seems to speak english as well, as all he's said to me is hello and sorry. I was a bit concerned at first about having to share the kitchen, but all she asked was that I let her have access to the kitchen during dinner time.
The house comes complete with a maid who comes once a week to clean my room and does the dishes and cleans the rest of the house daily. The maid is a really sweet Romanian woman whose name escapes my mind at the moment. She seems to speak French fluently, though Clara kind of dismisses her and says I likely speak more French than she does while rolling her eyes-- even though she's lived here for more than 10 years, Clara seems to think of her only as an immigrant, and the French are very weird about immigrants.
I went to the supermarket today for the first time and was able to find skim milk for lactose intolerant people, which is quite rare in france (both skim milk and milk for lactose intolerant people are rare, so the combination of the two was quite auspicious) and went on to eat 3 bowls of cereal. I also discovered that you're supposed to weigh the produce yourself in the produce section and not at the register. I got some stares :-/
I also went out to a club for the first time-- it wasn't anything terribly special, but it was fun to finally get a chance to go out and dance. Anyways, I must go to bed now, though I did want to include some pictures, so here goes. More updates to come:




what a cute place! =)
ReplyDelete