Friday, January 16, 2009

Rough Start

So I've been quite sick for the past few days, but I'm finally feeling better. I had a sinus infection for a while, which wasn't a big deal, then I got a horrible stomach bug, and I had to call the SOS doctor (a service for abroad students) and he made a "house call" to my room at the hostel. He didn't speak any English and was very impatient with me as I was writhing in pain on my bed, trying to understand his instructions about the 3 medications he was prescribing for me.

I slept about 18 hours yesterday and about 12 hours today, and I'm feeling a lot better. I even ate 2 meals today. I got to skype with my Mom, which was really comforting-- I think no matter how old you get, it's always nice to talk to your Mom when you're sick. It's kind of a bummer to see everyone going out and enjoying the city while I'm taking it easy here at the FIAP (the hostel), but I have 5 months here and I'm sure I will be spending plenty of time partying.

I picked out my apartment Wednesday afternoon-- it's technically a room in someone's house, but it's super super nice. The propriƩtaire (landlord) is nice, and speaks perfect English (not necessarily ideal) and has had more plastic surgery than anyone I've ever met. Chris Keel, another Brown student, lives in the other room, and I'm really excited to go party with him. The apartment is in a really nice area right next to the red-light district, which is more touristy now than prostitute-y.

I'm optimistic about the coming weeks, when I'll be posting about all the crazy adventures I'll be having.

No comments:

Post a Comment