Sunday, January 11, 2009

Settling In

I arrived safely. I was in Ireland for about six hours, which was an interesting experience-- everyone was blond-haired and blue-eyed and wore green. I was flying in an airplane with giant shamrocks on it so it was hard for me to take the situation seriously.

By the time I got to the hostel we're staying in, I hadn't slept for 24 hours and I was bewildered by everything-- I was nervous about being alone and sleep-deprived and trying to find some place to eat, but a girl from Brown saw me as I was standing in the middle of the lobby befuddled and she gave me a pomegranite to eat, which I had never done before.

I don't think the concierge likes me very much because I asked if we could store computers and stuff in the baggagerie and he said "aucune chose de valeur" (nothing of value), but then I discovered 50c lockers there and put my things of valeur in them, but then I got a bag stuck in them because I stuffed too much in and needed his help to open it, which involved manhandling the door and shaking the whole set of lockers.

There was a really cute 2-year-old at lunch today who kept pointing to things and saying what they were, which was actually really helpful. She was incredibly fascinated with her scarf and proud that she knew what it was called (écharpe, though she pronounced it more like ayshah), and when we gave her attention she got really excited and giggled and started waving at us furiously.

No comments:

Post a Comment