The biggest change that's happened since I last wrote is that I've finally started classes. My schedule's really weird-- I'm taking 3 courses right now, but one of them is pharmacochemistry, which meets from 130-445 on Tuesday and 9am-445 on Wednesday. In fact, it's really the only course that is meeting regularly, as it is at Paris 6: UPMC (Université Pierre et Marie Curie), where professors are "en grève," but still working. I'm also taking a French Literature course on Freud-- yes, Freud was German (I think) but the author we're reading wrote novels that have something to do with Freudian psychoanalysis-- I don't really know yet because I haven't had class.
At Paris 8: Université St. Denis, which is in the banlieue (suburbs), the professors are very much following the grève, though they were in class to welcome us and explain the reasons for it. Basically, the government wants to split research and teaching such that professors can really only do one at a time, in addition to reducing payed internships for graduate students and promoting financial independence of the universities. I'm actually quite glad the grève is happening, because the professor of my History of Gender course (the last of the three) asked us what we wanted to study that was relevant to the current French political situation, so we're going to discuss the basis of democracy and why it is so important for people to be active. There are manifestations (protests) every day, and a lot of educational programs like movies and debates themed around the grève. I never realized how much work it was to go on strike (Alex... I don't even know what to say... I'll send you a postcard?).
As for the coeur half of the title, I went and visited the Sacre-Coeur, in addition to Chartres and some other fantastic adventurous places. I've posted as many photos as possible on facebook, because they tend to take a long time to load on to this thing, and I'm really bad with computers...
Upcoming stuff: I'm going to Brussels next weekend! I've booked my tickets and made hostel reservations!
I spoke to someone on the phone today about tutoring English to a 9-year-old, but the job is 10 hours a week, which would mean a lot of money but a lot of time. We'll see.
Oh, and if you didn't already know, if you write to me, I will write you back.
My address:
Max Mathias
Brown Program in France
27 Rue Mayet
Paris, IDF 75006
France
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Freud was Austrian. It's kind of like German, but better apfelstrudel mit schlag. And I think a little bit more racist.
ReplyDeleteHave fun in Belgium. I've always secretly wanted to go there. I don't know why.
Love,
Sam
I was gonna say Freud was Austria, but I got beat to it.
ReplyDeleteDanielle
and by Austria, yes, I do mean that he was the entire country.
ReplyDelete